Healthy Recipes - Cashew Chicken Chili
Healthy Recipes- Cashew Chicken Chili
Check out this delicious chili recipe from our friend, Registered Dietician & LoHi Athletic Club member Emily Dorko!
The cashew cream in this recipe is meant to be a healthier alternative to traditional cow’s milk-based cream. When I first made the switch to cashew cream, I have not looked back. It is both more nutritious and better tasting (IMO) making it a win-win in my book. When compared to traditional cream, cashew cream is more nutrient-dense; it has more protein, iron, magnesium, and healthy fats. However, if you are crunched for time, traditional heavy whipping cream has a place here too and can still make for a nutritious meal for you and your family. Just be sure to use around 2 to 2 ½ cups of it for this recipe.
Canned corn also 100% has its place here when crunched for time (do we see a theme here?). I will warn ya, fresh corn is unmatched in terms of flavor when compared to canned corn. Do whatcha need to do but know both options are equally nutritious. One 15 ounce can in this recipe should be good to substitute with.
Want to jam pack this puppy with nutrition? Try something along these lines…
Kale, spinach, or bell pepper work well here and really bump up the nutrition scale in terms of micronutrients. Kale and Spinach can be thrown in at the very end, and the bell pepper can be added in at step 2 with the onion and garlic.
If you’re looking for a more filling meal, add some beans to boost fiber and protein content. White or black beans work here (we don’t discriminate around these parts).
Cilantro, avocado, cheddar cheese, or crumbled tortilla chips are all perfect toppers to this soup.
- 1½ cups cashews, raw, unsalted
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (around 4-5 cloves)
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 8 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1½ tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ¼ cup salsa (pick your spice level)
- 2 ears fresh corn off the cob (around 2 cups)
- 3-4 cups baked chicken, shredded
For the Cashew Cream:
Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Remove from heat and add into a tall jar or bowl. Add cashews and let sit for a good 15-20 minutes.
For the Soup
- Heat olive oil over medium heat for 2 minutes. Sauté onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add jalapeño and sauté for another 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add broth and corn. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Once cashews are soaked for at least 15 minutes, drain from water, and add 2 cups of filtered, lukewarm water and cashews to a blender. Blend until a cream texture forms. Stir into soup.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook over medium-low heat for another 5-10 minutes or until soup is hot.
- Serve with desired toppings and enjoy.
Want more delicious, healthy recipes and nutrition tips?
Head over to Emily’s website Ground Up Nutrition and be sure to follow her on Instagram too!